Translate

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Zingerman's - Ann Arbor, Michigan

Zingerman's Delicatessen
422 Detroit St, Kerrytown - A2
Zingerman's Facebook 

Open Everyday 7am-10pm
734.663.3354

What is Zingerman's? 

We were introduced to Zingerman's Deli by my wife's colleague, Dorothy.  That was many years ago, since then we have been regulars.  When Dorothy was teaching in the UK, she would fly back for a weekend just to eat at Zingerman's.  At first I thought she was insane, but now knowing how amazing this place is I would do the same.

This is a foodie's paradise.  They have 71 different sandwiches: corned beef, chicken, turkey, pork, beef, pastrami, fish and 10 are vegetarian.  They have authentic jewish foods: Matzo ball soup, baked potato Knish, potato Latke, noodle Kugel and blintz.  They make their own cheeses and gelato at Zingerman's Creamery.  They roast their own coffee beans at Zingerman's Coffee Company.  They bake their breads and pastries fresh daily at Zingerman's Bakehouse.  If you want really good American Food visit Zingerman's Roadhouse.  The chef, Alex Young is 5-time James Beard nominated Best Chef in the Great Lakes region, winning the title in 2011.  You can have food catered by Zingerman's for graduation, weddings, and business meetings.  They have seminars and adult baking classes.     

Everything is so delicious. #00 D-$ Cuban Conundrum (Pork) and TNT Cowboy Reuben (BBQ beef brisket) are my favorite sandwiches.  Don't just let my words persuade you, take a look at the pictures below, browse their websites and if you don't like traveling you can always do a mail order - Yes! Zingerman's will ship the goodies to you.     

I hope you stop by soon, who knows maybe you'll see me there too!
Quality of Food: 97
Quality of Service:100
Value: 98
Atmosphere: 100
Overall: 98 (Excellent - A Must Try!)





Get your Coffee, Pastries, Gelato, Chocolates here.

Everything CHOCOLATE! 



Free Samples, Just ASK!!!

Jams, Preserves, Honey (Sage Honey), Coffee from Zingerman's Coffee Co., etc...



Sardines, Razor Clams, Tuna, Mackerel, Anchovies, etc (Use Sardines and Anchovies in Bigoli Pasta recipe)

Custom Smoked Salmon and Fish from Durham's Tracklements and Smokery

Baked Fresh Daily from Zingerman's Bakehouse

Massive Selection of Olive Oils and Balsamic Vinegars


Free Samples, Just Ask! (Anything in the store!)


Jamón ibérico  is amazing! Make sure you get an ounce or two!


I love their Lemon Scone - buttery and flaky, YUM!


Mediterranean Experience (Small)
Our NEW favorite: #84, Benno's Birdie, Amish breast chicken, Ligurian Pesto, Oven-dried Tomatoes, fresh handmade mozzarella on grilled rustic Italian bread! YUMMY....

#46 Stan's Canadian Hotfoot (bottom-left) and #51 Bob & Roz's Fiesta (top-middle)



13 comments:

  1. Zingermans is a Michigan treasure. The food at the Roadhouse is fabulous. The mail order system has the best customer service of any company I have ever dealt with, even better than the vaunted LL Bean, and that's saying something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Tim - I agree, the Roadhouse has fantastic food. Thanks for making a comment on the mail order system!

      Delete
  2. Love this place! One of the reasons we moved to Ann Arbor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love the Z......make special trips there however luckily for me their bread is available in the Detroit area at Nino's! It has a special taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Anonymous - Awesome! I love shopping at Nino's!

      Delete
  4. Yum. I haven't been back in a while, I should go soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They also offer baking classes next door to the Bakehouse. Lot's of fun, and you come home with great food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got it right with the Zingerman's posting...but I have to disagree with your Babo post. Babo is a slick pretender that offers nothing new under the sun, where Zingerman's continues to push the line and offer products no one else is willing to. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Anonymous. Ouch! about Babo. Not that I'm trying to persuade you =), here are some reasons why I'm such a Babo fan. I love that they carry gluten-free products. To me, eating and drinking is very much about the sensory: in particular with sight, smell & taste. Although I haven't had the opportunity to dine-in, I can just imagine how wonderful it would be. You get that big city feel with the expensive condos next door, the corner spot on a busy one-way street, and the layout of the store is very cozy yet high-class. I can't wait to try a cheese-platter with a glass of cabernet sauvignon while reading a nice book on my Kindle!

      Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate your thoughts!

      Delete
  7. You are absolutely right to rave about Zingerman's. The food is as close to perfect as you rate it. You also scored the service as 100% but didn't comment. I agree with the rating but think it warranted almost as much praise as the food. Whether it's Ari bussing tables or making sure he and Paul still orient new employees. Or Roadhouse staff having reading glasses at the ready for guests who left theirs at home. Or the knowledge and enthusiasm that seem to be universal. Many places can stock and serve excellent food. Very few can find and inspire people to be this good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lee - That is AWESOME! Thanks for commenting about their extraordinary service! I really had no idea that Ari and Paul still orient new employees or that the Roadhouse provided reading glasses for guests. I agree with you that very few places can find and continue to inspire passion and enthusiasm for excellent service and delicious foods like Zingerman's.

      I gave 100 for service because they are SO consistent with excellent service - EVERY single time I step foot into their door. EVERY person is so enthusiastic and willing to make the extra steps to make you smile and ensure that you are completely satisfied before going out the door. Excellent service is what I value and I'm so glad they do too.

      Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
  8. Not only do Ari and Paul orient new employees - they take the time to speak with the holiday temp crew! I've worked at Mail Order 3 holiday seasons now and have had such a great time I hope to return next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Karen - Thanks for sharing your experience! Can anyone apply to work at Mail Order?

      Delete